Sep 25, 2009

Handling Rejection

Today, I visited the hospital for a routine check-up on my sprained wrist. I slipped on a sliced lemon at work. Yeah, I know soo funny cause a lemon did me in, right? Not even a banana peel. Nope. I had the satisfaction of being taking down by a lemon slice. 

Anyway, I went into the wrong building and found myself at the emergency room. I saw a family crying there. It got me thinking about the grief some people go through. The dictionary defines greif as keen mental suffering or distress over affliction or lose; sharp sorrow; painful regret. In criminology, we're taught to learn from and rely on books, on facts, on definitives when it comes to dealing with victims. But in life, strict definitions rarely apply. In life, grief can look like a lot of things that bear little resemblance to sharp sorrow.

Grief is something no-one wants to deal with.

It's also something people should consider next time they get rejected because of a "query letter or partial." I guess what I'm trying to say is that next time someone is discouraged because of a standard rejection, remember what you've read. Think about the pains others have dealt with or the pain you've dealt with sometime in your life and remember it's not the end of the world.

My first novel got rejected by about. . .eighty-something agents. (Definitely justified by that way. That first novel was a hot mess. New one? Much better and polished, but word to the wise writing about college kids is hard to sell. Those are the forgotten years in publishing. Luckily, the new one is the awesome high school years *laughs*) Next time you get one think about other things. Don't let two or three sentences ruin your day. I'm sure others would love to be in your place. The abilities to walk, to talk, to sing, to feel, to love. . .those are great things. Things not everyone in the world are able to have.

I saw on television the other day a show where a man lost his entire family in a car crash. Yeah, it wasn't real, but stuff like that really happens in life. Now THAT is what I call having a bad day.

Take those rejections like you do a bad hair day. Suck it up and move on. Like many agents say, "All you need is one yes." So deal with the no's because, one day, you'll get that yes.

0 comments: