Oct 28, 2009

Death

I've gotten a few emails asking more about what I'm going to school for and what insight I could offer when it comes to dead bodies. Some people have trouble getting the emotions down, so I'll try my best to help, but be warned this isn't an easy matter to write about.

Recently, I watched a forensic pathologist inspect a dead body for causes of death. The man was burned alive and I held on to my friend Kurt's hand to resist from throwing up. A lot of people write about dead bodies in novels. They write details that you want to believe, but that are usually not true.

Seeing death firsthand, I'd like to think I know a thing or two about it. So, I've decided to finally share my experience since I'm still rather out of it from my pain medication after having my wisdom teeth pulled. I never wanted to write about it, but maybe it'll help someone writing a novel that involves death.

Warning: If you have a weak stomach, stop reading here.

Walking in, I could smell nothing but burnt skin, and his face. . .Oh, god, his face--something I'll never forget. If someone's writing a ADULT murder mystery, they should know the facts. Like that the smell stays with you for days, and you usually have to burn your cloths. Or the fact that the mouth generally droops after so many hours. The face becomes distorted, twisted into a horrific grin that makes the face look as if his/her face had been ripped in half from the jaw. Sort of like the Black Dahlia murder if you've ever heard of it. 

My soon-to-be job isn't pretty, and I'll probably never get completely used to seeing dead bodies, which is okay because that's not the field I'm going into anyway. Many of you know I'll be going into ICE once I graduate, an I'll probably be working on human trafficking cases or marshals. 

Writing is a hobby to me, I've never looked at it for the possibility of being famous and having loads of money. I do it because ever since I had cancer, well, I'd like to think it keeps me sane and helps me think about things besides death. And now, I can't imagine ever stopping. Writing is something unbelievable and the ability to put my words on paper so easily is a gift, which I thank God for everyday. Sort of like my volunteer work. I feed animals at a BIG CAT REHABILITATION SITE. Lions, tigers, and ever bears I have the opportunity of feeding and nursing the little babies which is pretty sweet if you're into that sort of thing.

So, there's my random blog post that's probably making you , er, scratch your head. But, hey, all my experiences help me write my Veronica Mars esque novels. . .Have a great night.

2 comments:

Carrie Harris said...

Gosh yes. I worked in Pathology for a few years, and it amazes me at how many things people get wrong.

Hopefully, I won't be one of those people. ;)

Ash. Elizabeth said...

i doubt you will since you've experienced it firsthand. definitely something a person never forgets. i still have the images flash in my mind from time to time.